logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MyNet-Tony  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:13:19 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Groups: Member

This is great Nasir. I was actually pricing out Linux Reselling and VPS plans for my blog network. I am much happier that I can keep my sites with HostingFest.

What OS/CP are you looking at?

My two cents would be Red Hat or CentOS for the OS
and then Plesk or DirectAdmin for the CP.

Obviously others expressed interest in Linux,
so lets hear everyones thoughts as well.
ChaoticSilence  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:34:19 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Groups: Administration, Member
Man

Yes we have already got CentOS running but we are going for Cpanel because of its broad appeal, you do not like it?
ChaoticSilence  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:42:51 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

Also another question because now Apache 2 is stable enough should we go for it? Any comments?
MyNet-Tony  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:46:52 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

I have found it difficult and restraining to use. I find Plesk alot smoother, its alot closer to how HELM works, so I guess using HELM so much, I was kind of used to it. And I was curious to try out DirectAdmin, its seems pretty clean and simple to use.

Go with what you guys feel comfordable with. You are right, CPANEL does have broad appeal and everyone is offering it. Thats kind of why I asked others to chime in. I can live with CPANEL, so don't feel like you have to change just for me.

As a side note, before I put my blogs on my Windows account, I was trying out Linux plans and I noticed on Web Hosting Talk, that there aren't a whole lot of choices for a Linux Plesk hosting with shared and reseller plans. I tried a Plesk Reseller plan at PowerVPS and it was kind of slow. I know this is only being offered to current customers, but I assume you will roll it out to the public eventually. Just something to think about, it could be a niche HostingFest could fill.
MyNet-Tony  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:50:42 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

If its stable and doesn't cause any conflict with other programs or applications then I say go for Apache 2.

Also, find a good webmail client. I wish SmarterMail would port their program to PHP for Linux based hosting. The webmail I have used with previous Linux hosting has been less that good.

What are you looking at for a stats package?
ChaoticSilence  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:52:53 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

Although i have just installed Cpanel/WHM, i would still wait for other customer if any to join into this discussion, keep the suggestions rolling in.

Even after installing it i would not say that it is final, i will go where my customers want me to go, there are still 48+ hours guys before we roll out, come on give us some food for thought.

AND thank you tony for coming forword with these suggestions.

Thanks
ChaoticSilence  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:54:34 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

You can still use SmarterMail if you keep your windows hosting, it is just a matter of playing with DNS.

For stats we have Urchin and Awstats in mind.
MyNet-Tony  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:57:12 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Yeah come on guys, make with the comments.

No problem Nasir, I enjoy our discussions.

You should do some searches on Web Hosting Talk and see about Plesk hosts, I really think there is a lack of good Plesks hosts where there are a ton of Cpanel hosts. It could be an area where you can come in and be a strong competitor to HostNexus.
MyNet-Tony  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:58:39 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

You are going to have to put up a tutorial on how to do that. SmarterMail is the best Webmail out there.

I have never used Urchin, I should look at it. AwStats isn't pretty, but I really like it.
ChaoticSilence  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:59:42 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

Well Tony i am already thinking i will discuss this with others too before making a final decision, but we need people to participate. We are very flexible, bend us any way you want to :)

Anyway i will sleep now and look up on this thread tommorow.

Good Night :)
MyNet-Tony  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:47:23 PM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Come guys, 25 other people have looked at this and no one else has any thoughts? I can't be the only one who is intested in Linux hosting. Come on we have a chance to give feedback on a service we will be using.
MyNet-Tony  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2006 6:36:26 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Well, I am a little disappointed that no one else has an opinion on this.

Nasir, have you had any more thoughts on the control panel? Are we still looking at this server being released in the next day or so?

Check out this link: http://www.webhostingtal.../showthread.php?t=483077

It goes to a post on Web Hosting Talk where a poll is up for which control panel is better: CPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin. Right now DirectAdmin has four votes to three votes apiece for Cpanel and Plesk. A few people have posted comments as well.

This might be an interesting thread to keep an eye on.

Andy  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2006 12:02:13 PM(UTC)
Andy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

We prefer a Cpanel/WHM combination with RevSkins/Fantastico & MySQL 4.0 (not the latest version, But widely prefered over 4.1 or 5.0). This is a stable combination, widely accepted and universal appeal. Cannot comment of alternate CPs, as have had no cause for complaints on cPanel/WHM. Sitebuilder would be a good feature... maybe you can link the Swsoft appl. already setup.

Urchin; as addon would be okay, Awstats is just fine (avoid analog/webanalyser - takeup up too much log space vs value).

One thing we would be interested in is Reseller WHM, i.e.: provide WHM/Cpanel access to our users on our plans....

Yes, we will pick an account whenever the server becomes live.

ChaoticSilence  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2006 8:30:15 PM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

There will be a bit of delay now we have to look for more opinions ETA is 72 hours from the time of this post.
MyNet-Tony  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 2:22:44 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Come on people, use your voices.

On that WHT thread I posted earlier, DirectAdmin is getting some votes and leading over Cpanel and Plesk. If you want to do Cpanel, that is cool, I just thought using another CP would give you a competitive edge in the marketplace instead of just being "another cpanel provider".

Either way, don't let this hold up the server too long. Because if you are waiting for more people to chime in on the topic, the server will never get up. :)

ChaoticSilence  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 2:25:05 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

No actually the delay was because of two reasons.

New Windows Server (Which is launched)
More Opinions.

I will not delay it more then what i wrote in my previous post but i will delay the decision on the cp to the last 24 hours.

MyNet-Tony  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 2:40:24 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Thats cool. I can't wait to get my blogs over to your Linux hosting. Have you thought about plans and pricing for the Linux hosting?
ChaoticSilence  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 2:44:58 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

Yes currently we have something like this planned for our current customers (remember it will not be sold to general community till sometime)

US$59.99 / Year for the 1GB Plan

US$99.99 /Year for the 2GB Plan

These are the reseller plans not final till now.
ChaoticSilence  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 3:40:03 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

Tony we have a slight bend :) towards cpanel/whm right now mainly because of fantastico!
MyNet-Tony  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 4:22:22 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

What bend? One person responded. :lol:

But either way its fine with me. I will be signing up. You know what you are doing and trust your judgement. I am totally willing to give Cpanel another try.

I just brought it up because EVERYONE does Cpanel/Fanterrible. I really don't see what is so great about them. Not to mention, look at that thread on WHT I linked to. If Cpanel was so great, it would have the most votes. Right now it is trailing behind both Plesk and DirectAdmin.

I'm just playing Devils Advocate here. After spending alot of time researching Linux plans - for my blogs - it is obvious that there are way too many Cpanel hosts and not enough Plesk/DirectAdmin/Other CP Linux hosts out there. I even had people PMing me asking about Plesk hosting because I was posting about looking for it and all they could find was HostNexus.

Any CP but Cpanel would set Hosting Fest out from the crowd.

Just my two cents.