logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChaoticSilence  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2006 4:17:25 AM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Groups: Administration, Member
Man

We need response from our customers about a switch over to MDaemon from SmarterMail.

It will allow for better stability of mail server and better integration of SPAM and VIRUS controls.

If this is decided open then the current mails in the accounts will need to be downloaded because those will not be transfered only accounts and account related information will be. But that for latter on. I want to just kick a discussion here first.

MyNet-Tony  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2006 11:19:28 AM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Groups: Member

In the past MDaemon caused alot of problems. And the interface isn't as good as SmarterMail.

Plus I can't go through a huge migration again. The problems with the mail thus far have my customers pissed off, I can't afford anymore email downtime.
ChaoticSilence  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2006 1:00:55 PM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

First remember its only an RFC :) No decision is taken.

We are also thinking about Exchange Server as HELM 4 will support it ultimately.

Also the new webmail interface for MDaemon is a copy of Outlook.
Alan LeftLion  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2006 11:38:15 PM(UTC)
Alan LeftLion

Version 4 of smartermail looks excellent from the beta, and of all the mail systems i've used it's been the best. The new mdaemon skin does look ok to be fair (compared to the previous one/s).

I'm not sure - it's a pain getting everyone to pull there email off to change the software, but if it means less spam, more stability and at least as good usability from a webmail point of view then it's hard to be against it really.

Smiling4ever  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2006 2:54:57 AM(UTC)
Smiling4ever

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would vote for MDaemon if that will increase the stability and the performance. Also, you can give SM4 a try as well
Noman Dormosh

HostingFest
MyNet-Tony  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2006 12:05:32 PM(UTC)
MyNet-Tony

Exchange would be cool. And a decrease in spam and an increase in stability would be great.

My main concern right now is inconveniencing my customers in any way after the recent mail issues.
Dan  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 1:09:43 AM(UTC)
Dan

I would highly recommend MDaemon. I have run it for the past 6 years and there are no stabiltiy problems. I'm also bart of the beta team. The webmail (WorldClient) is actually far superior to SmarterMail. If any of the HostingFest folks would like to have some demo accoutns I would be happy to provide some.

One of the best features of MDaemon is the excellent spam fighting capability. It includes SpamAssassin and also uses a numbre of spam fighting techniques including tarpitting, domain keys, SPF, pop before smtp, hashcash and one if the biggest spam killers is greylisting.

Greylisting forces remote SMTP servers to retry after 1 or 2 minutes. Spammers software gives up after the first try. The amount of spam I receive dramatically reduced after greylisting was added. Right now there is no better SMTP server than MDaemon.

Dan
Dan  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 1:17:21 AM(UTC)
Dan

(I can't seem to edit my previous post "ACCESS DENIED: You tried to enter a area where you didn't have access")

In fact, I'll open the offer of a test accoutn to anyone here that would like to test or see the MDaemon WorldClient interface. There are basic templates that make it look like a plain webmail app, but then there is the "LookOut" template which is almost a direct copy of Outlook. And complete with drag-n-drop!

Just shoot me an email with a username and password you would like.

Dan
danb@aspitel.com
webhos  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 4:41:11 PM(UTC)
webhos

we cant afford major updates anytime soon. we are still facing problems with last email downtime.
PoorSoul  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 6:55:14 PM(UTC)
PoorSoul

I see HostingFest as a com unity based hosting service and as a community we have to think of our own good, i know that hostingfest are charging us very low prices for the services it is providing us so it cold be possible that they may not be able to afford everything.

Because the major problem that they are facing is incoming spam i propose a solution we as a community create a community fund which will allow hostingfest to buy a gateway spam server???

It will be a gateway to do all spam filtering, grey listing, virus filtering and will forward clean messages to the mail server, i am willing to be a partner and fund hostingfest for that if others join in.

Come on hostingfest create a fund account :)

I do not know hostingfest is that possible? I do not know about others but i am in.
Dan  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 1:39:10 AM(UTC)
Dan

I can help with a big donation. I have a 500-user license of MDaemon I could offer for free. This license can be upgrded to unlimited.
Andy  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 4:46:29 AM(UTC)
Andy

SmarterMail interface has a definite customer preference. Most of our clients actually love it.
Andy  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 4:50:17 AM(UTC)
Andy

Recommend giving SmarterMail 4 a shot before a change over.
Dan  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 6:15:00 AM(UTC)
Dan

Just a minute ago I had a client saying he couldn'y read his mail from his Motorola Q. I guess SmarterMail isn't accessible from small devices. MDaemon actually has templates built specificalyl for accessing email from phones and other small devices. I still vote for MDaemon. It's not all about the interface.. for me my biggest beef is all the spam coming through SmarterMail. With greylisting MDaemon/SpamAssassin didn't even have to handle most spam since it was never even delviered.
Andy  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 1:48:42 PM(UTC)
Andy

Dan wrote:
greylisting ...

Care to elaborate how this works..?

Does it send a error message to sender saying delivery is delayed and will be retried in a 1-4hours ? Not sure if my customer's would like their email delivery time extended by 1-4hours. Today everyone wants/expects instant email delivery. We have number to tickets whenever the Mail server delivery time increases beyond a point...
Dan  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 2:07:03 PM(UTC)
Dan

Greylisting sends newly seen SMTP servers a "try again later" error message. SMTP servers retry at varying intervals and at the next attempt the transaction will succeed. I personally greylist at "1 minute", so any server first denied can succeed 1 minute later. This has worked very effectively for me and many others.

The vast majority of spammers systems do not make a second attempt.. apparently not worth the effort.

MDameon will remember previously approved SMTP servers so they will not continue to be greylisted. And yes this does all require MDameon to 'remember' all these servers, but in the end it is far less processing than receiving the 85-95% of mail a typical SMTP server receives which is spam. This was an initial conern of Alt-N the makers of MDaemon, but it proved out to be a savings in processing.

More detail can be found here:
http://projects.puremagi...ylisting/whitepaper.html
ChaoticSilence  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 7:51:54 PM(UTC)
ChaoticSilence

Man

We will be starting beta test of Mdaemon soon, probably today, if anybody want to join in open a ticket.
Alan LeftLion  
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2006 8:50:45 PM(UTC)
Alan LeftLion

SM 4 includes grey listing, that's not to say i want to go with that just pointing out that it's not unique to mdaemon. Although spam is incredibly annoying and taking up more and more time the stability of email is much more important. i've had to take one clients email hosting to an external host.

Alan LeftLion  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2006 8:52:58 PM(UTC)
Alan LeftLion

I also installed a copy of mdaemon locally to test out the interface and it does look good.
Dan  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2006 5:37:44 AM(UTC)
Dan

Just curious where the beta testing of MDaemon stands. Thanks.